As any remodeling contractor will tell you, one of the most common questions homeowners ask is “How long will my remodel take?” While most don’t want to hear the answer of “It depends …”, that’s exactly what the truth is! The remodeling timeline is different for every project, every single time.
Basic Phases of a Remodeling Timeline
Even though you may refer to your home renovation project as one single event, such as a bathroom remodel, it’s actually composed of several different phases. Each phase includes important steps in the remodeling process. Having a greater understanding of what’s involved in each one can help you get a better picture of how long your remodel will take.
- Early Planning – This is a discovery phase in which you as the homeowner will meet with a home design professional. You’ll talk about what you’re looking to achieve with your project as well as how you want the end result to look.
Based on your personal design preferences and proposed scope of work, your designer will help you explore your options and will create conceptual drawings to portray the end product. Other professionals from your chosen remodeling company may visit your home as well in order to determine whether or not what you want is actually possible to build.
- Professional Design – Once the preliminary planning is complete, it’s time to narrow your focus to determine a specific plan. Nailing down the specific details helps create a plan that’s actually buildable but also makes the process of determining your remodeling budget For example, if you know the size, color, style, and material for your cabinets, your designer will be better equipped to determine their availability and cost. Finalized plans are also necessary for the next step in the remodeling process.
- Getting Permits – Most municipalities require building or remodeling permits. You won’t be able to apply for or get one, however, until it’s clear exactly what the work will entail. When you work with a design-build remodeling company, their building professionals will help you get the best design for your project and even complete the permitting process for you.
- Construction – With the right plans and permits in place, now it’s time for your remodeling crew to get to work making the dream become a reality. How long this part of your remodel takes depends on several factors, of course, including the scope of work.
- Post-construction Followup: Upon completion of your remodeling project, it’s important to do a thorough walk-through with your building contractor. This is the time to take note of any issues and bring them to their attention so they can be rectified in a timely manner. Depending on the contractor’s warranty period, followup can occur again months later to ensure that the work completed meets quality standards and is to your satisfaction.
Factors That Affect How Long a Remodel Takes
After reviewing the phases above, it’s easy to see that how long your remodel takes is based on how smoothly each phase goes. A hiccup in any one phase can affect the next and have a significant impact on the overall project timeline.
When thinking about how long your remodel will take, here are a few other factors that may affect progress:
- Supply chain issues – materials that aren’t available or take a long time to get
- Municipal delays – extra time required for getting permit approvals
- Contractor delays – labor shortages, employee illness, scheduling conflicts
- Inclement weather
While a bathroom or kitchen remodel could take 6-8 weeks or more to complete, smaller renovations may take less time and larger projects could take considerably more. It’s important to get a clear picture of how long your remodel will take directly from your contractor. This will be the most accurate as the timeline will be based on specifics relative to your project. This timeline can also impact other decisions, such as whether or not you can stay at home during construction.
If you live in Orange County and have a remodeling project in mind, let us know! Sea Pointe Design & Remodel has been meeting the remodeling needs of Orange County residents for over 35 years and we’re not stopping yet!
To get ideas and inspiration for your project, feel free to check out our online portfolio of completed renovations or register for one of our upcoming remodeling webinars. Then, give us a call at (949) 861-3400 or fill out the form below to schedule your complimentary design consultation.