Why should you hire a professional remodeler?
If you’re just doing minor renovations, like painting a room or replacing some worn-out carpet, chances are you can handle that on your own. When your remodeling project includes things like building a room addition, relocating plumbing and walls, or creating custom cabinets, however, it’s time to bring in the experts.
Hiring a professional remodeling company will definitely cost more upfront, but it could save you thousands of dollars in the long run. Expert remodelers have a design/build team that plans the project from start to finish. This can help eliminate some of the surprises that could come up if things aren’t planned out ahead of time. They also come with significant on-the-job experience. This translates to less time needed to complete the job and less money wasted on costly mistakes.
How to find the best remodeling company
If a friend, family member, or neighbor has recently had major renovations done on their home, take the time to ask them about the remodeling company they used. Someone with recent experience with the process will be happy to tell you what they liked about that company and what, if anything, they would’ve changed.
Aside from personal recommendations, the next best place to look for a reputable remodeling company is through professional directories such as Houzz. Your local Chamber of Commerce may also have a listing of area construction and remodeling companies. Once you’ve found a few, check out their reviews on Google and Yelp, or look through a portfolio of their work to learn more.
Helpful tips for getting the most out of your remodeling experience
Once you’ve chosen a remodeling company to work with, your work is not done. Now it’s time to work together to create your dream kitchen, remodel your bathroom, or whatever else your home renovation entails. Here are a few tips for getting the most out of your experience:
- Create a remodeling budget – Both you AND your remodeling company should know exactly what you plan to spend. This will help guide recommendations for appliances, material and design choices, and more.
- Define the scope of work – Work together with your remodeler to decide exactly what your project will entail. Defining the scope of work in the beginning will help you to stick to your remodeling budget and provide a sense of focus. It will also make it easier to understand when something arises that is clearly not included in the original scope of work.
- Practice open communication – Even if you’re not always on-site when your remodeling company is working at your home, you should keep the lines of communication open. This will help eliminate potential surprises on both sides and help you know exactly how the overall project is progressing.
- Identify areas of your home that will be affected – Even though your project might be focused in one room, other areas of your home could be impacted. For example, materials might need to be stored elsewhere, or plumbing and electrical updates could be required beyond just the room in which the remodeler is working. Plan for this in advance and there will be fewer unexpected inconveniences.
- Identify potential issues early – If you don’t like how something looks, or you think something doesn’t match your original scope of work, speak up. Often, it’s easier and less expensive to make changes early on than waiting until the work is finished.
Put your remodeling dreams into action
Now that you know what to expect, it’s time to hire a remodeling company and get started on making your remodeling dreams a reality! Give us a call at (949) 861-3400 and we’ll be happy to help with your next home renovation.