Kitchen design trends vary from year to year. Sometimes, the design shifts are monumental, while other times they’re very minimal. Either way, style trends or changes in family life often make people ask the question, “Is it time to remodel my kitchen again?”
While it’s definitely not something to do every year, most remodeling professionals recommend a kitchen renovation every 10-15 years. Why? Let’s take a look.
3 common reasons for a kitchen remodel
- Family needs have changed. A kitchen that worked fine for a newly married couple, for example, may not be so functional for that same couple with four children. As families grow or change, so do their needs in the kitchen.
- Design trends have significantly changed – We’ve probably all seen pictures of our parents’ or grandparents’ kitchens. While some of those styles do resurface now and then, many older kitchens are simply outdated.
- Materials and appliances wear out – While appliances and kitchen materials now last longer than ever, they’re not meant to last forever. The kitchen is one of the most heavily trafficked rooms in the house. As such, it sees a lot of wear and tear over the years. It’s perfectly reasonable to expect to replace appliances, countertops, cabinets, or flooring simply because of everyday use.
5 questions to ask before you renovate your kitchen
A full kitchen remodel can be one of the most expensive home renovation projects, depending on the scope of work and materials chosen. To make the most of your time and money, here are several questions to ask yourself before you take the plunge:
- Are you staying or selling? If you plan to live in your home for many more years, you’ll want a kitchen that meets your specific needs and design standards. On the other hand, if you’re thinking of selling, your home may attract more potential buyers if your updated kitchen follows current kitchen design trends.
- Does your dream kitchen fit with the rest of your home? When it comes to architecture, there’s not much worse than mismatched rooms that don’t “flow”. Picture how odd a rustic country kitchen would look in a sleek, modern house. Even if you like it, others who may buy your home in the future probably will not.
- Is an updated kitchen a want or a need? There’s certainly nothing wrong with wanting something new and different. In fact, we often help clients who want to remodel their home simply because they want a new look. If you have a sufficient remodeling budget, wants and needs can be intertwined and we can help you find a solution that incorporates both. In contrast, if your budget is limited, you may need to decide between remodeling projects based on need – a trendy kitchen versus a functional bathroom, for example.
- What will define a successful kitchen remodel for you? In the remodeling business, we find that the happiest clients are the ones who do the most research and planning in advance. Identify what doesn’t work in your current kitchen so you know exactly what needs to be changed. Then, work with a professional design-build team to put all the design elements together in a way that makes the most sense for you, your family, the house, and your budget.
- Do you want standard or custom cabinets? There’s no question that stock cabinets are cheaper and can certainly be functional in many kitchens. However, you may have design ideas or floor plan constraints that warrant the use of custom cabinets. Think about what kind of storage space you need as well as how that space will be used in connection with other kitchen elements such as an island, a sink, or countertops.
Is it time for YOUR dream kitchen?
Whether it’s been 10 years since your last kitchen renovation, or some of the questions above hit home, we want to help make your dream kitchen a reality. Check out our online portfolio for design ideas and a sampling of our work … then, give us a call at (949) 861-3400 to get started!