What’s one of the most popular ways to add versatility, additional storage, more countertop workspace, or an extra seating area to your kitchen remodel? That’s easy … install a kitchen island!
Finding a kitchen island design that encompasses everything you want and integrates seamlessly into the room’s overall design is not always so easy. Let’s take a look at some of the most common mistakes that homeowners make when deciding what their island should look like or how it should function.
Common Kitchen Island Design Problems
If you can avoid these top kitchen island design pitfalls, you’ll be well on your way to having an island that will serve you well for years to come.
- Creating an island that’s too big or too small. When thinking of the perfect kitchen island design, it might be helpful to remember the story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears … you don’t want a space that’s too big or too small but rather, one that’s just right. If the island is too big, the rest of the kitchen will feel tight and claustrophobic. If it’s too small, you won’t have the storage or workspace you’re looking for.
- Not planning in advance for the island’s function. Will your kitchen island be used for storage? How about meal prep? Do you want built-in appliances such as a cooktop or mini fridge? All of these elements affect the overall size, design, and other factors such as plumbing and electrical needs. If you don’t answer these questions appropriately in advance, it can be a hassle or expensive to make changes later.
- Designing an island that’s more of an obstruction vs. a stepping stone. Your kitchen island design should compliment the overall flow of the room, not obstruct it. Beware that the island doesn’t interfere with what’s known as the kitchen triangle … the all-important, triangular path between the refrigerator, stove, and sink.
- Forgetting about lighting. Make sure that the lighting you choose above your island fits with its overall function. Bright lighting is great for meal preparation tasks but may not be comfortable for someone seated at the island to eat. Dimmable pendant lights hung from the ceiling often offer a great solution for both situations.
- Not having fun with the design. One of the most popular kitchen trends for 2022 is adding playful pops of color. Why not do that with your kitchen island design? When your island’s cabinets provide a beautiful contrast to perimeter cabinets around the room, the design reaches a whole new level and makes an aesthetically pleasing statement.
How to Avoid Kitchen Design Mistakes
Now that you’re aware of some of the most common kitchen island design pitfalls, what’s the easiest way to prevent them from happening in the first place? The answer to this question is really quite simple … enlist the help of a professional kitchen designer! As is true for most remodeling projects, hiring a pro who has the knowledge and also experience to back it up can save you from making costly kitchen island design mistakes.
At Sea Pointe Design & Remodel, we have an award-winning design team that knows exactly how to combine today’s remodeling trends and best practices with your unique needs and personality. Once your design is finalized, our master builders get to work making that design a reality that you can enjoy for years to come.
When you’re ready to start planning your next Orange County kitchen remodel, give us a call at (949) 861-3400 or fill out the form below to schedule your complimentary design consultation.